Back in April 2007 I bought this MK2 Golf CL shell to replace the previous one I`d crashed at the Nurburgring.
I`ve spent the last 11 years continually modifying the Golf from a pretty standard MK2 with a 2.0 16V engine from the MK3 Golf GTi, adding Megasquirt and GSXR 750 Throttle bodies and then the Turbo back in 2014.
I`ve spent a lot of time learning as I went. The Aero development has been going on for several years now and pretty much every passenger who sits in it comments how stable it is at high speed.
The name `Pinderwagen` actually came from Dale Lomas who runs www.bridgetogantry.com .It was a throwaway comment he made when following me in 2014 and the name stuck.
Before then it was just `The Golf` or `Nige`s Golf` but the step increase in performance from adding the Turbo took it to a new level and the #Pinderwagen was born.
I`m not a mechanic I`m just an enthusiastic amateur who likes to learn new skills and will have a go at anything. Some things have worked out, others haven`t but that`s the case in pretty much everything and my view is that the important thing is that I learn from my mistakes. By doing everything myself I`ve been able to try things I wouldn`t if I had to pay someone to do it and I`ve been able to keep the overall build cost to sensible levels.
Overall I`m a pretty positive person and when things go wrong I just try and make the best of it. There is no point getting upset about things beyond your control so I try not to bother. Sometimes that is easier than others…
Current Spec. May 2018.
- 1990 Golf MK2 Non Sunroof CL 3-Door Shell
- Comprehensive Custom multipoint welded roll cage tied to front and rear turrets
- Engine bay Chassis strengthening
- Cobra Sebring Side Mounted Bucket Seats
- Schroth Profi II 6 Point 3″ Harnesses
- Flocked MK2 dash with Custom gauge and switch panels
- Standard Rear Beam, no additional ARB
- 25mm Stub Axle Spacers
- Polo Stub Axle for improved wheel bearing life
- Polo Rear Discs
- EBC YellowStuff Rear Pads on Stock MK2 Calipers
- Standard stitch welded MK2 Subframe
- Subframe lower brace.
- MK3 Power Steering Rack
- Peugeot Electro Hydraulic Power steering pump
- Custom wider track Wishbones with increased Caster
- Hi-Spec RX15 6 Pot Calipers
- Hi-Spec Custom Caliper Carriers and Bells
- Floating 290mm x 28mm Discs
- Project Mu SAS964 or Performance Friction PF08 Front Pads
- Spherical steering Tie Rod Ends
- Standard MK2 Front Hubs
- NIC Engineering Roll Centre Correction Balljoint Extenders
- ACS Pro Series 90mm Bullet Nose Wheel Studs
- 15″ Speedline 5 Spoke Alloy Wheels
- 15″ Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 Alloy Wheels
- 195/50 R15 Pirelli Full Wet tyres
- 195/50 R15 Toyo R1R Damp condition tyres
- 205/50 R15 Dunlop Direzza DZ03G H1 Dry Tyres
- 205/50 R15 Toyo RS1 Slicks Medium Compound
- 195/50 R15 Pirelli Slicks Medium Compound
- KW Clubsport Coilovers Front and Rear
- Eibach Pro Race Front and Rear springs.
- Spherical Top Mounts
- Polybushed throughout
- Stock MK2 Front ARB
- 2.0 16V ABF Block
- Stock Cylinder head and camshafts
- Stock Crankshaft
- Stock ABF Pistons
- Stock Headbolts
- Compression Ratio reduced with 2 x MLS Head Gaskets.
- Integrated Engineering Rifle Drilled conrods with Genuine ARP Bolts.
- Custom Baffled sump with windage tray
- Custom KR & 1.8T Inlet manifold with ABF Throttle body.
- 19 Row Oil cooler with Thermostatic Sandwich Plate
- Toyota Celica GT4 Aluminium Radiator 698x325x56mm
- Mitsubishi EVO 4 Intercooler.
- Comprehensive cooling ducting
- Megasquirt 2 ECU Controlling Fuel, Spark and Boost
- Siemens Dekka 630cc Injectors
- Custom Fuse and Relay board with independent ECU Loom.
- TD04 Turbo from Volvo V70
- Megasquirt controlled boost to provide N/A Characteristics rising to 1.2 Bar Peak
- Custom Tubular Manifold
- Custom 3″ Stainless Exhaust with 2 large Silencers
- 02J 3.6FD 5 Speed Manual Gearbox
- EPYTEC 4Kg Flywheel
- Helix Paddle
- LUK VR6 Pressure plate Clutch
- Custom Raised MK4 Shift Tower
- Spherical Rod ends on Shifter cables
- 0.795 5th Gear for higher VMax
- KAAZ Plate Diff
- MK3 VR6 Driveshafts
- MK3 Outer CV Joints with Redline CV2 Grease
- MK2 Inner CV Joints with Redline CV2 Grease
- SKF Front Wheel Bearings repacked with Redline CV2 Grease
- Trackslag Fibreglass bonnet with Custom reverse vent for improved cooling.
- Custom Front Splitter with integrated Brake Duct Air Scoops
- Custom Aluminium Flat Floor
- Custom Aluminium Side Skirts
- Custom Fibreglass Roof Scoop
- Custom Fibreglass Diffuser
- Custom Fibreglass Widened and vented front wings
- Aluminium Rear Wing
The entire build was carried out by me, in many cases learning as I went and making mistakes along the journey. All the Custom parts were designed and fabricated by myself often using examples taken from elsewhere as a starting point.